Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Baby Ohman

When Nora's first birthday was approaching, I really wanted to get her a doll.  I got recommendations from other moms (namely, my sisters) and searched online for dolls and even sewing patterns trying to find the perfect "first doll."  Nothing clicked.  We eventually figured she was maybe kind of young to really appreciate it, and decided to wait until Joey was born so she could have her own "baby" to take care of.  We found a super-simple doll at Toys R Us and presented it to her as we left for the birthing center.

May 30, 2010- Still waking up from her nap.
Well, over the last month or so, Nora has really grown attached to this doll.  She rocks her to sleep and lays her in a little bed next to her crib, she feeds and burps her, and she demands she be "changed." (At first I thought she meant diaper change, but no.  Miss Eleanor's baby requires multiple outfits, thank you very much.  Good thing Mama is handy with a sewing machine.)  I tried on a few occasions to get her to name the baby, but she remained simply "Baby."  (Dirty Dancing, anyone?)  Until recently. 
A couple of weeks ago we were getting ready to go up to my folks' house and we asked Nora if she wanted to go see Grandma Erdmann.  Her reply?  "Gamma Ohman.  Dixie Ohman.  Baby Ohman!"  Okay, so somehow she combined Grandma Erdmann and Grandma Dixie, but she also named the baby!  From that moment on, her baby has been Baby Erdmann, or as Nora says, "Baby Ohman."  A strange first name for a girl, perhaps, but I think it has a lovely ring to it.  :D

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i can't believe how old nora is. she's a doll herself. :)

Melia and Christian said...

Elora's first doll was named Baby Dopy O'Rielly... yeah. We never did figure out where it came from.